Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What Have You Been Doing?

Last month our church had to work though the tragedy of the loss of an infant member of a church family.  As Margaret and I sat at the funeral service, looking at the earthly remains of that tiny, precious infant girl, listening to the grieving mother weep uncontrollably...tears filled our own eyes.  In my mind were the age-old questions: "God, why do we have to suffer such grief?  It's not fair.  Please, return quickly and make things right again!"

Instantly in my spirit God reminded me of two Scriptures.  The first was 2 Peter 3:9:

"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." (NKJV)

Death was not part of God's original design. He is "not willing that any should perish".

The second Scripture was Matthew 24:14:

"And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come."

And with this Scripture I sensed God's gentle question to me, "What have you been doing to hasten my return?"

Have I been doing my very best to spread the gospel?  Have I been witnessing to all whom God has brought into my path for that purpose?  Have I done my part so that "the end will come"?  Is my slackness delaying His return?

I have to confess that I have not been doing my very best.  Lord, I'm sorry.  Holy Spirit, refresh my spiritual boldness (Acts 4:31) as I stir up the gifts you have given me (2 Timothy 1:6-7)

How about you?  Have you been doing your part to hasten His return?  The Pocket Testament League will send you free pocket editions of the Gospel of John that you can give away.  Their website is also loaded with great resources to help you effectively use those booklets to hasten His return.

In His name,
Chaplain Sam Houchins

No comments: